Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why you need to make this pesto pasta with spiced chickpeas!
Pesto pasta is one of my favourite pasta dishes, but this particular one has had a real upgrade. I have paired this dish with crispy chickpeas, so this simple to make meal is not only cost effective but also a real taste sensation. I promise you this Pesto Pasta with Spiced Chickpeas is going to make its way onto your midweek meal rotation.
Some other reasons why I think this pesto pasta is particularly good:
- Quick and easy to make: ready from start to finish in less than 30 minutes
- Batch cook: whilst the recipe is for 2 people the recipe is easily scalable. Double the quantities and store in the fridge for an easy mid-week meal
- Cost effective: this recipe relies on store cupboard ingredients and a few fresh additions. A tasty but cheap meal to throw together
Pesto pasta with spiced chickpeas – Recipe notes
** You are going to need either a food processor, blender or hand blender to make this recipe.
** If you aren’t a fan of spice, reduce the quantities of cumin, smoked paprika and chilli powder.
** When making the pesto, blend-up the whole bunch of basil, including the stems. Herb stems have so many nutrients and so much flavour it is great to include them wherever possible.
pesto pasta with spiced chickpeas – recipe ADAPTIONS
** You can swap the almonds and pine nuts for any other nuts that you have in the cupboard. Pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts will all work.
** Swap lemons for limes if that is what you have available
** Whilst I have used coconut oil for the chickpeas, this can also be swapped for olive oil
** The chickpeas can be swapped for either butter beans or cannellini beans
25 – 30 minutes
- Pesto Ingredients
40g Pine nuts
Large bunch of fresh basil, including the stems
Lemon, juice of
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
- Roasted Spiced Chickpeas
1 Can of chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp Coconut oil
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- General Ingredients
150g Dry wholemeal pasta, something like a penne will work well
A couple of handfuls of rocket
- Preheat the oven to 200oc and line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Place the pasta in a saucepan and cover in boiling water. Bring the water to the boil and the cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is aldente
- Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the microwave and add the spices. Mix until combined into a paste
- Add the chickpeas to the spiced coconut oil paste and stir until fully coated. Tip onto the lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until crisp
- Meanwhile, place all of the pesto ingredients into a blender and blitz until virtually smooth, but still a bit chunky
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add the pesto to the pasta. Combine until well coated
- Divide the pesto pasta between two bowls and top with a handful of fresh rocket and crispy chickpeas
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Pesto Pasta with Spiced Chickpeas so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!