A wonderfully tasty dish of slow cooked meaty aubergines, layered with a silky rich tomato sauce, all topped with a generous layer of vegan cheese. Typically eaten cold with a mountain of salad, this is a dependable meal that you can make ahead that keeps perfectly in the fridge for a few days. Or even try it warm with a side of green veggies and crusty bread.
Reasons to love this recipe
- Makes 4 generous portions, making this a brilliant make ahead batch cook recipe
- Fantastic eaten hot or cold
- Uses simple ingredients
- Naturally gluten free
Vegan Aubergine ParmigianaCourse: Side, Main CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This popular southern Italian dish couldn’t be easier to make. Using just simple ingredients, this hearty bake makes a great alternative to lasagne and a brilliant batch cooking option for easy meals throughout the week.
4 Aubergines, cut thinly lengthways
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 Tins of plum tomatoes
3 tbsp Olive oil
4 Small cloves of garlic or 2 large cloves, crushed
Red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp Oregano
Handful of fresh basil
100g Grated vegan Cheddar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200oc.
- Mix the sliced aubergine with 2tbsp of olive oil in a bowl until well coated and place in the oven on baking trays (so they aren’t overlapping) for 15 – 20 minutes until soft and golden.
- Start making the tomato sauce by frying the red onion and garlic in a pan with 3tbsp of olive oil for about 5 minutes, until coloured a little.
- Add the plum tomatoes and tomato puree to the pan with the basil and oregano. Cook out for 10 minutes seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to cool a little and blend until smooth
- Layer the aubergine and tomato sauce in an ovenproof dish (start with the tomato sauce on the bottom), just make sure you end up with a layer of tomato sauce on the top.
- Top with vegan grated vegan Cheddar and bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden and crispy on the top.
- Enjoy with a side of green vegetables or salad and just pop in the fridge once cool if you aren’t eating it straight away.
- Once cool, can be stored in the fridge for 2 – 3 days in an airtight container
- Make using an ovenproof dish that is 30cm x 20cm or similar
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutterloveoffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #fortheutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!