A quick and easy nutritious meal that comes together in 10 minutes. Packed with 3 of your 5 a day, this toast topper combines two favourites; garlic sautéed mushrooms and smashed avocado to create the ultimate winning combo. Ideal for brunch, lunch or even a light dinner it is both delicious and healthy.
Which mushrooms to use?
You can use any fresh mushrooms you would like; shiitake, oyster, portobello, closed cup, all of these will work. However, for the dish you can see photographed I used Chestnut Mushrooms as I like their colour and flavour in this dish.
Do I have to use sourdough?
Any bread will work but in order to get a balance in texture I would recommend you stick to a ‘sturdy’ variety of bread, something like a ciabatta or sourdough that gives a chewiness to the dish.
The great thing about this recipe is how adaptable it is. If you feel confident enough, why not experiment with one of the suggestions listed below:
- Add in some red onions or shallots with the mushrooms and garlic when you sauté them
- Swap the rocket for spinach
- Try adding in fresh herbs with the mushrooms, something like thyme or rosemary
- Add in a little bit of acidity at the last moment when sautéing the mushrooms. Try a splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar
- Swap the olive oil for another flavour neutral vegan fat when sautéing the mushrooms. Try vegan butter or avocado oil.
Other recipe suggestions:
If you like the sound of this toast topper, why not try some of my other quick and easy savoury dishes:
Avocado Toast with Garlic MushroomsCourse: Breakfast, Lunch, Light DinnerCuisine: ToastDifficulty: Easy
A quick and easy nutritious meal that comes together in 10 minutes. Packed with 3 of your 5 a day, this toast topper combines two favourites; garlic sautéed mushrooms and smashed avocado to create the ultimate winning combo!
1 Large slice of sourdough
10 Chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Ripe avocado
1/2 Lemon, juice of
1/2 tsp Chilli flakes (optional)
Handful fresh rocket
Salt & pepper to season
- Place your sourdough in the toaster and cook until crisp.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium – high heat with a little olive oil. Once hot add in the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until the mushrooms are softened and starting to caramelise.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, place the avocado flesh in a small bowl and mash with the back of a fork until you get a chunky texture, mix in the lemon juice so you get a chunky looking paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut your toasted sourdough in half and spread the avocado mixture evenly on one side.
- Top with a handful of rocket and the sautéed garlic mushrooms. Sprinkle with the optional chilli flakes
- Enjoy straight away
- Double the recipe for 2 people
- Best eaten as soon as it is ready
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this, so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutterloveoffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #fortheutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!