There is rarely an occasion that isn’t perfect for hummus and the addition of pistachios to this version really does take it to the next level! If you haven’t tried making your own hummus before and happen to stumble on this recipe you are in for a treat :). Homemade hummus is not only healthier (as you know exactly what is going into it) but it is so simple to make you’ll never buy the shop bought version again!
Recipe notes and adaptions
As hummus is a pretty simple recipe, you want to make sure you use the best ingredients you can get your hands on. Ingredients that are particularly important in terms of texture and flavour are:
- Extra virgin olive oil: a good quality olive oil is not only more viscous but it also has a depth of flavour that the (often cheaper) alternatives just can’t match up too.
- Tahini: similar to the olive oil, tahini is made from ground up sesame seeds so you want to pick a variety that is as pure as possible.
In terms of equipment, you are going to need some sort of blender:
- Food processor
- Hand blender
- Stick blender
Any of these will work and one isn’t necessarily better than the other. You just want to make sure you don’t burn the blender motor out. You can avoid this but adding sufficient water to the mixture so it easily blends to a smooth consistency. First try with 4 tbsp water and then add a little more if the mixture looks too thick.
The beautiful thing about hummus (aside for just how easy it is to make) is how versatile it is, the options on ways to serve it are quite literally endless. But if you are looking for suggestions why not try:
- Pitta breads cut up into strips for dipping
- Paired with a crudité platter, vegetables like carrots, celery, bell peppers and cucumber work brilliantly with this hummus
- As a sandwich filling with baby spinach, sweet tomatoes and crunchy grated carrot
- As a salad bowl topper
If you like the sound of this hummus, why not try one of my other chickpea recipes:
- Lemon and Blueberry Baked Oat Bars
- Vegan Chickpea Tuna
- Chocolate Covered Chickpeas
- Pesto Pasta with Spiced Chickpeas
- Sweet Potato Falafel
Easy Pistachio HummusCourse: Dip, Side dishCuisine: Middle EasternDifficulty: Easy
The pistachios in this hummus take it to the next level! This is the hummus that will make sure you never buy the shop bought version again. Super easy to make with just a few ingredients, you can have a healthy snack ready in just 10 minutes.
100g Shelled unsalted pistachios
1 Tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1 Lemon, juice of
2 tbsp Tahini
3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
2 Garlic cloves
4 tbsp Water
Salt & pepper to season
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Or if you prefer your hummus a little chunkier don’t blend for as long. Add a little more water to loosen the mixture, if you are finding it is too thick.
- Spoon out into a bowl and garnish with optional pistachio kernels, olive oil, cumin and fresh herbs.
- You may need to add a little more water to the mixture to get the desired consistency
- Try adding a couple of ice cubes in lieu of some of the water to get a fluffier hummus
- PER SERVING: F – 14.2g C – 9.4g P – 6g
- If you don’t have a food processor it is possible to make this with a hand / stick blender too
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutterloveoffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!