Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why i love this ginger chocolate mousse!
These cute little chocolate pots are the perfect sweet treat for when those cravings hit. This Ginger Chocolate Mousse recipe is not only light and relatively healthy but also packed full of flavour.
Using chickpea water / aquafaba it also puts that water in those cans to good use too. Perfect for entertaining or just cosying up on the sofa, this recipe comes highly recommended.
Some other reasons why you should try this mousse:
- Easy to make: with only 4 ingredients it really doesn’t take much to put this mousse together
- Full of festive flavour: the ginger in this adds a lovely festive warmth
- A healthier take on regular chocolate mousse: by using aquafaba over the traditional eggs and cream you get a lighter mousse that is lower in calories and fat
chocolate ginger mousse – Recipe notes
** You are going to need an electric hand whisk for this recipe, or very strong arms that don’t tire quickly. With an electric whisk you are going to be whisking for at least 5 minutes and by hand you’d need even longer
** It is possible to melt the chocolate in the microwave, but it tends to burn easily. So when microwaving do this on a low heat in 10 – 20 second bursts to avoid it burning.
** This recipe needs at least 6 hours of chilling to firm up the mousse, so you will need to factor that into your planning
** Top each mousse pot with any toppings you fancy. This version uses coconut yoghurt, fresh ginger and cacao nibs, but you could use nuts, coconut flakes, citrus zest etc.
chocolate ginger mousse – recipe ADAPTIONS
** If you don’t have milled flaxseed, it is possible to swap this out for the same quantity / method with chia seeds
** If ginger isn’t your thing, you can swap it out for another flavour. Mint or orange would make nice festive flavours, or just leave it as a plain chocolate version
** You will get the same result from using the water from any tins of beans. So if you don’t have chickpeas, try cannellini or butter beans. Just make sure these beans are in water and not in a flavoured sauce.
** Try making it in one large bowl and portioning it out from there, rather than in smaller pots
At least 6 hours
- Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
140g Ginger chocolate
Aquafaba / chickpea water from 1 tin
1 tsp Milled flaxseed
1 tsp Ground ginger
- Melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave for 10 – 20 second intervals, stirring throughout to avoid it burning. Once fully melted, leave to cool but not harden
- Add the aquafaba to a clean mixing bowl and use an electric hand whisk (or stand mixer) to beat into stiff peaks (which will take about 5 minutes)
- In small quantities, slowly fold in the chocolate, flaxseed and ginger to the aquafaba.
**Try to avoid knocking the air out that you have just spent the past 5 minutes trying to add in
- Spoon into small pots or one large bowl and place in the fridge overnight (or at least 6 hours) to firm up
- Top with yoghurt, cacao nibs and grated fresh ginger before serving. ENJOY!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Chocolate Ginger Mousse so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!