Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why you should make these caramelised banana baked oats!
2020 was the year I discovered and fell in love with baked oats, as they are so much easier than stirring porridge on the hob top. The beauty of them is you can just throw the ingredients into a bowl and pop it into the oven to bake whilst you get on with other things. The end result, a delicious breakfast! You have to give these Caramelised Banana Baked Oats a try.
Some other reasons these baked oats are brilliant:
- Cake-like texture: the baked consistency tricks your mind into thinking you are eating cake for breakfast, which is a winner in my book. Especially when it is this healthy and easy to make
- Uses up those old bananas: it is a great way to use up those old bananas
- Gluten and refined sugar free: making this recipe allergy friendly
- Can be eaten hot or cold: a great option when you need to have breakfast on the go
- Easy to make: which means you can have fancy mid week breakfasts too!
caramelised banana baked oats – Recipe notes & adaptions
** This recipe using a pre – made flavoured porridge mix. However, you can swap out the same quantity for regular porridge oats and an extra 0.5tbsp of maple syrup and you will get similar results.
** Your bananas need to be ripe, almost the riper the better as it gives a lovely sweetness to the breakfast. It is a great way of using up those bananas you have lying around
** I have added unflavoured protein powder to this recipe in order to increase the protein %. If you aren’t a fan of protein supplements you don’t need to add this, but you may find you need to use another 20g of oats to get the desired consistency. I’ve stuck to an unflavoured protein as not to inhibit the flavour of the oats – but you could use a vanilla or banana flavour instead.
** Any plant-based milk will work – just try to use one that is unsweetened and not of a barista grade. Barista grade milks have added oils and emulsifiers which are great when you want a frothy coffee, but they aren’t needed in this breakfast recipe.
caramelised banana baked oats – toppings
One thing I love about this breakfast is the vast opportunity it gives for toppings. In the pictures, you will see a mixture of caramelised banana, fresh blueberries, almond yoghurt, cacao nibs, milled flaxseed and hemp hearts, but others you can add are (and if you think of any others please do let me know):
- Chocolate chunks
- Maple syrup
- Toasted seeds
- Baked Oats Ingredients
50g Blueberry & banana oats
1/2 Banana, mashed
130ml Dairy free milk
1/2 tsp Baking powder
20g Unflavoured protein powder
Pinch of sea salt
- Caramelised Banana
1/2 tbsp Coconut oil
1/2 tbsp Maple syrup
- Other Toppings
- Pre-heat an oven to 170oc
- Place all of the baked oat ingredients in an ovenproof dish and mix until well combined
- Pop in the oven for 15 minutes to bake
- Whilst baking, heat the coconut oil and maple syrup in a pan
- Chop the banana length ways and then into halves. Add to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until caramelised
- Once baked, take the oats out of the oven and load with all the toppings. ENJOY!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these Caramelised Banana Baked Oats so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!