Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why you should make this spiced apple cookie dough!
Chickpea cookie dough is one of my favourite snacks to have on hand in the fridge for when I fancy something sweet. Naturally high in protein and low in sugar, it satisfies those sweet cravings without me continually reaching for a chocolate bar (which just for the record is also absolutely fine). This Spiced Apple Cookie Dough has an autumnal feel about it and is definitely a flavour combo to give a try.
I know for some of you this recipe is going to sound a little strange, because of the chickpeas, but I promise you it works! Here are just a few reasons to give this a try:
- Refined sugar free: by using apple puree and maple syrup as the natural sweeteners, you can make the core cookie dough refined sugar free without losing any of the taste. The optional candied walnuts do contain refined sugar
- High in protein: the combination of cashew butter and chickpeas means this cookie dough is particularly high in plant based protein
- Versatile: you can use this cookie dough as a dip, on its own or pair with some vegan vanilla ice cream for a quick and easy dessert
- Quick to make: you can have this sweet treat ready in less than 15 minutes if you work quickly
spiced apple cookie dough – Recipe notes & adaptions
** You are going to need some sort of blender to make this recipe. A food processor, hand blender or stick blender will all work.
** This recipe traditionally uses chickpeas, but you could swap out for butter or cannellini beans for a similar result
** The cashew nut butter can be changed for whatever nut butter you have available. Try peanut, hazelnut or almond and let me know what you think!
** Like most of my recipes, you can swap out maple syrup for any liquid sweetener.
** I have used an unflavoured protein powder in this dough, but you could leave this out if you aren’t keen on protein supplements. You could also try a vanilla or peanut butter flavoured powder, but if you do you might want to reduce the maple syrup, as most flavoured powders include added sweeteners
** Your topping options are endless here! I have added candied walnuts, extra apple puree and peanut butter protein balls, but feel free to get creative
- Cookie Dough Ingredients
Tin of chickpeas, drained
200g Apple puree
70g Cashew butter
35g Unflavoured protein powder
40g Maple syrup
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
- Candied Walnuts
3 tbsp Muscovado sugar
1 tbsp Water
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Allspice
- Add all the cookie dough ingredients to a blender and blend until really smooth and creamy with no lumps (you are likely to need to give your blender a couple of breaks when doing this to avoid the motor burning out)
- Give the cookie dough a taste and add more salt, sweetener or spices as needed
- Place all the candied walnut ingredients in a bowl and mix together (with the exception of the water). Once all the ingredients are combined, add in the water
- Add the walnuts to a heated pan and toast for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Reduce the heat to low-medium and add the cinnamon sugar mix and combine
- Spread onto a piece of baking parchment and leave to cool
- Layer the chickpea dough with the candied walnuts and top with all of your favourite toppings
- If not eating immediately refrigerate, otherwise ENJOY!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these Spiced Apple Raw Cookie Dough so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!