Jammie Dodgers remind me of my childhood, they are one of those nostalgic biscuits that I would share with my friends as a treat. So, when Jammie Dodgers were made vegan in the Summer of 2020 I knew I needed to create a bake with them and ended up creating these healthier Jammie Dodger Blondies!
These chewy and delicious blondies are my plant based take on the traditional blondie recipe. By adding peanut butter and chickpeas I’ve created a tasty yet high in protein bake. In summary it’s basically peanut butter and jam but in blondie form, topped with Jammie Dodgers! This is a bake that will be loved by adults and children alike and makes a super fun baking activity for Valentines Day.
What actually is a blondie?
Blondies are pretty similar to brownies, they are just a non-chocolaty version of a brownie. The ingredients are pretty similar you just aren’t adding cocoa or chocolate.
As these are my healthy take on a blondie, you are going to see a few differences to the traditional recipe. You’ll notice they are a little flatter and probably not as rich in taste. That said, they are still an awesome bake and one that is high in protein as well.
What you need to make these Jammie Dodger Blondies
Chickpeas: the chickpeas when blended create the creamy fudgy base for the recipe. Adding these helps to create a higher in protein bake that is also rich in fibre.
Smooth Peanut Butter: I prefer to use a smooth variety in this recipe, but if you only have crunchy at home, this will work as well. Equally if you have a peanut allergy, swap out for any other nut or seed butter, just try to choose one that doesn’t add palm oil or sugar. You are looking for a variety that is just 100% nuts or seeds. Fortunately these days all U.K. supermarkets are filled with great options to try. Brands like Manilife, Pip & Nut and Meridian are my go to’s which are all 100% nuts.
Unflavoured Dairy Free Yoghurt: using yoghurt, when combined with the peanut butter and chickpeas helps to give the bake moisture and binds the ingredients together. Opt for an unsweetened variety that is plain in flavour so not to taint the flavours of the bake.
Maple Syrup: can also be swapped out for any other liquid sweetener like agave or date syrup. If using maple syrup, whilst expensive try to pick one that is 100% maple. A lot of the cheaper options have carob syrup added to them to make them more cost effective and therefore allowing them to lower the price.
Oat Flour: oat flour (which is achieved by blitzing oats up in a blender to get a fine flour like consistency) helps to keep the base blondie recipe gluten-free.
Baking Powder: helps give rise to the tray bake. If you are gluten-free just make sure you pick a brand that is suitable.
Vanilla Extract and Sea Salt: helps to bring out the flavours in the bake.
Jammie Dodgers: I’ve used full sized Jammie Dodgers, as when sliced it gives each portion one whole Jammie Dodger. However, you could try using the mini ones or even the gluten-free varieties that are available.
Raspberry Conserve: as this is the flavour of the Jammie Dodgers themselves it compliments the flavour of the bake. However, you could use strawberry if that is what you have available.
Recipe Swaps and Adaptations
- Peanut Butter: if you don’t have this handy, try swapping it out for another smooth nut butter. Cashew butter will work just as well
- Maple Syrup: swap this for another natural liquid sweetener, something like an agave or date syrup will work well
- Chickpeas: try butter beans in place of the chickpeas, they will give you a similar effect
If you are looking for more healthy baking inspiration, why not try my Healthy Cheesecake Brownies
Jammie Dodger BlondiesCourse: DessertCuisine: Dessert, SnackDifficulty: Easy
These chewy and delicious blondies will transport you back to your childhood. A healthier nostalgic bake that will be loved by adults and children alike and a fun baking idea for Valentines Day.
Tin of chickpeas, drained
75g Smooth peanut butter
75g Natural dairy free yoghurt
85g Maple syrup
50g Oat flour (made by blending oats into a fine powder using a blender)
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
9 Full sized Jammie Dodgers
100g Raspberry conserve
- Preheat the oven to 180oc and line a square baking tin with parchment paper
- Place the chickpeas, yoghurt, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder and salt into a blender and process until you get a silky smooth consistency
- Add this mixture to the oat flour and mix well until combined
- Pour into the lined baking tin and smooth over with the back of a spoon
- Add small teaspoons of jam to the top and swirl in with a knife
- Top with 9 Jammie Dodgers and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until golden and crisp on the edges
- Leave to cool fully before slicing and ENJOY!
- If not eating immediately, once cooled store in an airtight container and they will keep for a couple of days
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these Jammie Dodger Blondies so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!