Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why make this homemade cranberry sauce!
Made with 4 simple ingredients and only 15 minutes of your time. This delicious Homemade Cranberry Sauce is refined sugar free, unlike a lot of other recipes or shop bought versions out there.
- Super Easy: using just one pan, a chopping board, a knife and a zester
- 15 Minutes: it would take you longer to drive to the supermarket than it would to make this recipe!
- Minimal Ingredients: with only 4 ingredients you can be sure the cranberry sauce you are eating is free from preservatives
- Refined Sugar Free: by using maple syrup (which is a natural sweetener) you remove the need for refined sugars
homemade cranberry sauce – Recipe notes
** I know it might be more convenient to reach for a jarred version of this popular Christmas sauce. But I promise you this version is so simple to make you won’t ever touch the jarred version again.
** If you are looking to maintain a healthy balance over the festive period this homemade sauce is for you.
** The sauce itself is a little tart, but if you prefer a sweeter version, add a little more maple syrup to the sauce.
** Be sure to buy the pure maple syrup. Whilst a bit more expensive, the cheaper versions are filled with syrups to substitute the expensive maple. The pure maple syrup delivers the maximum flavour and stays true to not don’t refined sugars.
** You can make this cranberry sauce ahead of time, although it is super quick to make. Either store in an airtight jar for up to 7 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 2 months in an airtight bag. If freezing, thaw it out in the fridge overnight before using and heat through in the microwave / on the hob top when ready to use.
homemade cranberry sauce – recipe ADAPTIONS
** This recipe creates a chunkier cranberry sauce, but if you are looking for something smooth just blitz the mixture with a hand blender
** Increase the quantity of orange zest or maple syrup if you prefer a sweeter sauce. This version is a balance between tart and sweet flavours
** When you can’t get hold of fresh cranberries, frozen ones will work too. Just add them to the pan frozen and reduce them down in the pan with the rest of the ingredients.
250g Fresh cranberries
30ml Pure maple syrup
30g Fresh orange juice
1 tbsp Orange zest
Pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and simmer on a low to medium heat until thick. Mash the cranberries with the back of a spoon as they cook down, stirring occasionally
- The cooking down / reducing of the ingredients should take 5 – 10 minutes in total. Once cool, store in an airtight container or eat immediately
- This will make a chunky cranberry sauce. If you are looking for something smoother, blitz it up in the blender
- If the sauce is a little too thick at the end of the reducing process, just add a little more orange juice
- Add a little more maple syrup if the sauce is too tart for you
I look forward to hearing what you think of this Homemade Cranberry Sauce so please leave a comment below and tag my in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!