Share with all your friends!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
why you should make these chocolate dipped clementines!
For me, the winter months are the perfect excuse to max out on all the citrus fruit that is available. Satsumas, clementines, grapefruits and oranges, I’ll take them all. Whilst a lot of people associate chocolate orange with the festive season (thanks to a well known chocolate variety), citrus sticks around so much longer than that and these chocolate dipped clementines make a perfect healthy snack.
Some other reasons these dipped citrus segments are brilliant:
- 3 ingredients: this recipe only needs 3 ingredients; citrus fruit, chocolate and sea salt, that’s it!
- Great way to use up chocolate: a handy way to use up any chocolate you have spare, or simply reinvent it
- Healthier version of a chocolate orange: that well known chocolate brand I mentioned above, well this recipe tastes like a healthier version of the original
- Great to make with kids: is a wonderful healthy treat that is simple to make with children
- Ready in 30 minutes: from start to finish this recipe takes less than 30 minutes if you use a freezer to set the chocolate
chocolate dipped clementines – Recipe notes & adaptions
** Dark chocolate will work best for this recipe, ideally with a cocoa content of 65% or higher. But you will get a similar effect with a milk chocolate as well
** Sprinkle sea salt on the clementine segments just before eating (or leave off if giving to children), as the salt will ‘melt’ when you leave the chocolate to harden in the fridge or freezer
** It is fiddly, if not slightly satisfying taking the white pith of the clementines. It takes a little while but definitely worth it in the end
** Whilst I have used clementines for this recipe, satsumas or orange segments will work just as well. You could even try other types of fruit like strawberries, kiwi etc at other times of the year
** I have used a bain marie to melt the chocolate but it can be done in the microwave if you keep a careful eye on it. Set the microwave to a medium heat in a glass bowl and give it 20 second bursts, stirring in between each one to make sure it doesn’t burn. The risk with the microwave is it is more susceptible to burning
100g Dark chocolate
Sea salt flakes
- Melt the chocolate slowly in a bain marie on the hob top, stirring regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn
- Whilst the chocolate is melting, peel and remove any white pith from the clementines (yes this is fiddle but well worth doing).
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Dip the clementines in the melted chocolate and lie them on their backs on the baking parchment
- Repeat until all clementine segments are dipped
- Pop in the fridge to set the chocolate, or if short on time you could pop them in the freezer for 15 – 30 minutes
- Sprinkle with sea salt just before eating
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these Chocolate Dipped Clementines so please leave a comment below and tag me in your wonderful creations! I’m @fortheutteroffood on Instagram and use the hashtag #theutterloveoffood. I’m also on Facebook – please say hello!